In The News
Some Services and Programmes We Provide
- Play work
- Patient Support:
- Social –Have support groups plans activities that will engage the mind of these children so they don’t dwell on their present condition
- Educational – Provides Teachers facilities for learning to sharpens their mind and encourage some amount of physical activities and keep a robust look on life.
Our main areas of focus and primary effort are:
- To create awareness that children also have cancer, but children cancers are curable.
- To save as many lives as possible through early detection and prompt medical attention.
- Support families that are affected by childhood cancers.
- Cancer is an expensive ailment even for the rich. However, cancer medication is a lot less expensive when diagnosed early and treatment started on time.
Some of the most common children cancers seen and treated at LUTH Hematology/ Oncology unit of the pediatric department and the statistics over a period of 18 months (July 2005 to January 2007) are as follows.
Projected Goals in 10 Years
- Health care givers /communities made aware of childhood cancers
- To establish at least 2 childhood cancer treatment centers in Nigeria
- To record more survivors of at least the most treatable of childhood cancers by bringing our survival rate at par with at least that of the South African experience.
- Burkitts lymphoma
- Nephroblastoma (cancer of the kidneys)
- To make Bone marrow Banking and Bone marrow transplant available at the treatment centers
- Availability of free drugs /treatment for children with cancer.