In The News
Our Walkathon 2012 have come and gone but the memories live on. We thank everyone who made out time to be with us on that very special day...Thank you. It was fun and Educative. Dr Edamisan Temiye (a Consultant Heamatologist/Oncologist) was at hand to give an insight into childhood cancers.
Some Services and Programmes We Provide
- Play work
- Patient Support:
- Social –Have support groups plans activities that will engage the mind of these children so they don’t dwell on their present condition
- Educational – Provides Teachers facilities for learning to sharpens their mind and encourage some amount of physical activities and keep a robust look on life.
Did You Know?
|That Nephroblastoma was the leading diagnosis of child cancer in LUTH between July 2005 and January 2007|
Some of the most common children cancers seen and treated at LUTH Hematology/ Oncology unit of the pediatric department and the statistics over a period of 18 months (July 2005 to January 2007) are as follows.
Male: 108 (66.3%)
This is as against 540 admission made by the same unit which also caters for children living with HIV and sickle cell anemia among other illness, in the same 18 months period, i.e. 163 as against 540 (about 30% of the admissions)
Projected Goals in 10 Years
- Health care givers /communities made aware of childhood cancers
- To establish at least 2 childhood cancer treatment centers in Nigeria
- To record more survivors of at least the most treatable of childhood cancers by bringing our survival rate at par with at least that of the South African experience.
- Burkitts lymphoma
- Nephroblastoma (cancer of the kidneys)
- To make Bone marrow Banking and Bone marrow transplant available at the treatment centers
- Availability of free drugs /treatment for children with cancer.